Posted on April 06 2018
KISS: Keep It Simple, Sweetheart.
Read your labels, if you have to google it, then its too complicated.
Back to the basics....the less ingredients the better.
Kick it old school, with simple and pure products.
Keep It Simple, Sweetheart.
Sounds simple, but it can be frighteningly complicated.
Ingredients that sound all lovely and natural are sometimes not what they seem.
Educating yourself about the origins of seemingly benign ingredients can help you take KISS to the next level.
- Talc and Mineral Talc has been found to increase cancer in rodents and has been linked to Ovarian Cancer
- Mineral Oil: A by-product of the petroleum industry, Mineral Oil coats your skin in an airtight barrier. Skin that can’t breathe can be prone to infections. The airtight barrier also reduces your body’s attempts at releasing toxins.
- Fragrance: May contain allergens and toxins that can cause behavioral issues or brain damage, or respiratory issues.
The FDA does not require testing on health and beauty product ingredients for safety. Cosmetics companies may use any ingredient or raw material, except for color additives and a few prohibited substances, without government review or approval (FDA 2005, FDA 2000).
These words to look out for:
- Chelators: (disodium EDTA and tetrasodium EDTA) Chelators are used in personal care products to remove impurities from low-quality raw materials. They do not readily biodegrade in the environment.
- Parabens: (Methyl, Propyl, Butyl and Ethyl) Parabens are used to extend the shelf life of products. They can cause skin rashes and allergic reactions.
- PEG: (polyethylene glycol) When you get home, read the ingredients on your caustic oven cleaner. PEG will most likely be there. This thickening agent also dissolves grease and oil. Not grossed out yet? On your skin it reduces your natural moisture and is a potential carcinogen.
Please note these lists are not complete, but a brief overview.
Being an educated consumer not only makes your life and family better
and healthier. But it helps to make our Planet a better place too!
About: Kim is a momma, wife and small business owner.
She lives with her family in Duchess County, NY, where she enjoys her rescue dog, bunnies and chickens.
Her family loves camping, hiking, geocaching, and all things Cub and Boy Scouting.
She is the owner/creator of Three Sisters Herbals, LLC., which she affectionately calls “her other baby”.
TSH is the same age as her youngest human baby, and they are all growing up together.
Follow US, Like US!
Click on Envelope icon to Subscribe to our mailing list.